الانتقال الى المحتوى الأساسي

جامعة الملك عبدالعزيز

KING ABDULAZIZ UNIVERSITY

كلية الطب

تفاصيل الوثيقة

نوع الوثيقة : مقال في مجلة دورية 
عنوان الوثيقة :
Bladder cancer in Western Region of Saudi Arabia, pathological and geographical variables.
Bladder cancer in Western Region of Saudi Arabia, pathological and geographical variables.
 
لغة الوثيقة : الانجليزية 
المستخلص : Background: Schistosomiasis is a parasitic disease which is endemic in certain regions in the world as Egypt. One of the most important consequences of this infection is urinary bladder cancer which has a higher rate worldwide. Yet, its incidence shows a wide range of geographical variation. Although the link between schistosomiasis and bladder cancer is generally accepted, the pathophysiological mechanisms are still unclear. Additionally, there are many other risk factors than schistosomiasis may be having an intimate relation with the development of bladder cancer. One of the most important variables related to staging of urinary bladder cancer is the pathologic tumor (pT). This factor is essentially landmarked by invasion of lamina propria muscularis mucosae (MM), and muscularis propria (MP) by the cancerous cells. The aim of this study is to analyze the various pathological characteristics of schistosomal and non schistosomal bladder cancer. In the same way is to explore the incidence of this tumor and its geographical variables. As well as is to show other associated bladder lesions in relation to cancer such as carcinoma in situ, types of metaplasia and the degree of inflammatory infiltrates in the tumor and in the rest of included bladder tissues. Additionally is to assess the different variables of invasion as lamina propria MM and MP invasion. Also, is to analyze the pathological variables of other types of bladder cancers as adenocarcinoma and sarcomatoid carcinoma. Finally is to compare our findings with other previous publications mentioned worldwide. Methods: This is an analytical, hospital based case study performed in King Abdul-Aziz University Hospital, Jeddah, Western region, Kingdom Saudi Arabia. The study included (n=180) bladder cancer cases. The regional incidence of bladder cancer was identified and studied, then making comparison between schistosomal and non schistosomal bladder cancer. Additionally, the study was analyzed the possible risk factors and reviewing the WHO / ISUP classification of urothelial neoplasms. Patients’ medical records were reviewed for the clinicoradiological findings. Finally, histopathological examination for all cases was performed. Histological evaluation of the cases included the types of tumors including the degree of invasion, associated lesions as carcinoma in situ, metaplasia and the deposition of schistosomal ova. Finally, the cases were looked for the inflammatory cells infiltrate including the degree of infiltration. Results: The study was performed on 180 cases of urinary bladder specimens. These specimens included 15 cases (8.3%) radical cystectomy specimens, and the remaining 170 cases (91.7%) were bladder biopsies. The majority of cases studied were urothelial neoplasms, which comprised 161 cases (89.4%). Additionally, squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) represented 12 cases (6.7%), adenocarcinoma 5 cases (2.8%), and sarcomatoid carcinoma was 2 cases (1.1%). Among all the cases studied schistosomal bladder cancer represented 13 cases (7.2%) whereas, the remaining cases were non schistosomal bladder cancer. Schistosomal cancer cases included 11 cases (6.1%) SCC, and 2 cases (1.1%) were TCC. For tumor invasion, MP invasion was detected in 30 cases 916.7%), and lamina propria MM invasion was observed in 45 cases (25%). Conclusion: the conclusion of this study includes, in spite that schistosomiasis plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of bladder cancer, there is a wide geographical distribution for schistosomal infestation and hence for the histological types of bladder cancer. Additionally, there is a major discrepancy in the incidence of this tumor in relation to various countries. As well as there are many other risk factors may be linked to the development of this tumor. Finally, the most important prognostic factors for invasive urinary bladder cancer are tumor stage and grade. The corner stone of the pathologic tumor (pT) is the evaluation of the depth of invasive malignant cells in the bladder wall. 
ردمد : 12374706 
اسم الدورية : The New Egyptian Journal of Medicine 
المجلد : 40 
العدد : 3 
سنة النشر : 2009 هـ
2009 م
 
نوع المقالة : مقالة علمية 
تاريخ الاضافة على الموقع : Sunday, April 11, 2010 

الباحثون

اسم الباحث (عربي)اسم الباحث (انجليزي)نوع الباحثالمرتبة العلميةالبريد الالكتروني
جودة المغربيAl-Maghrabi, Jaudah باحث مشاركدكتوراه 

الملفات

اسم الملفالنوعالوصف
 26429.doc doc 

الرجوع إلى صفحة الأبحاث